Originally the fort was built by Sidis and was occupied in 1559 A.D. by the Portuguese, who protected it from the attacks of the Mughal emperors in 1581 A.D. and 1683. The Portuguese lost Daman along with the fort to the Maratha army in 1739. The fort walls are irregular is shape. Its north and east site face the river Daman-ganga, western side overlooks the sea, while the southern side is protected by a ditch.