This tank was constructed by Mahmud Begada and it is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. It was designed by two architects namely Azam and Muazzam (A.D. 1457). To the south-west corner of the tank, is a palace and a harem. The palace is having two entrances of double storey the sluice gate of the tank is richly carved.
Conservation and Preservation
This tank was constructed by Mahmud Begada and it is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. It was designed by two architects namely Azam and Muazzam (A.D. 1457). The tank is squire in shape and having flight of steps on all four sides. The steps were damaged due to negligence and weathering effect. The work of recess pointing to the flight of steps and wall including racking out joint, cleaning curing etc. are completed and dismantling and resetting of settled out of plumbed ashlar stone masonry flight of steps and wall at eastern side of the tank. The work is in progress.
Organized around a large artificial water reservoir, the monuments at Sarkhej were mainly erected under the reign of Mahmud Begada (A.D. 1442-1451). At the left side of the main entrance of the group of monument at Sarkhej was constructed a stone-framed brick
Masonry structure overlooking the reservoir. It lay in dilapidated condition, which has been dismantled and re-erected, maintain original look of the structure. In addition, the buldged ashlar stone masonry wall of tank below the brick structures was dismantled and re-set as per original pattern. Missing and broken stones of chhajjas and kanguras are also replaced with newly dressed and moulded stones matching with the original. Besides, reconstruction of missing retaining wall of the tank which included two top molded and carved layers of stones is completed.