This Talao which is one of the largest is constructed by King Siddharaja Jayasimha Jayasingh (A.D. 1093 – 1143). According to some the lake was called originally as Durlabh Sarovar and was built by King Durlabhraja, an ancestor of King Siddharaja and repaired and renovated by Siddharaja. The great embankment surrounding it appears to be constructed of solid brick work and was faced with stone masonry, forming flights of steps to the water’s edge. On and above these steps, stood the thousand shrines of which fragmentary remains are still found buried in the debris of the embankment.
Conservation and Preservation
This twelfth-century great reservoir, originally known as Durlabh Sarovar, and also called a “lake of a thousand lingas”, was constructed to channel water into the tank from the nearby Sarasvati river. Spread over an area of around 7 ha., it is presently largely filled with silt and sandy earth excepting some of its portions which are exposed to the view – a long inlet channel reaching up to a circular silting chamber called ‘Rudra Kupa’, further connecting water channel joining the main reservoir through three circular, beautifully sculpted, stone sluice openings, stone masonry forming flight of steps to reach water edge, a colonnade connecting to a temple, and so on. The embankments of the silt and sandy earth filling have steep slopes, which until now posed a problem of easy erosion by rain water. To arrest this erosion, a low-height R.R. contour masonry wall was constructed, after excavation and laying foundation in lime concrete, on top and bottom side of the sandy earth. Side by side, the tank was de-silted in order to expose the buried structural remains. The work is in progress.